Electrical power Generation Page
- Building-integral On-site Solar and Wind Power Systems - This brief tutorial explains how to estimate power and energy yields, of building-integral on-site solar and wind power conversion, storage, and management installations; analyzes past and new systems; and compares their cost. Rate this link
- DOE Solar Energy Technology Program - The DOE Solar Energy Technology Program accelerates the development of solar technologies as energy sources for the nation and world. This program also educates the public about the value of solar as a secure, reliable, and clean energy choice. Rate this link
- Photovoltaics - Learn here how solar cells work. Rate this link
- SolarPower.org - This site serves as a resource for those interested in all forms of solar power and renewable energy. Rate this link
- SolarPower.org Homebrew Projects Rate this link
Currently the most popular type of solar technology is photovoltaics, however PV technology only has an efficiency of about 7-17%. Photovoltaic cells convert sunlight directly into electricity and are made of semiconductors such as crystalline silicon or various thin-film materials. Photovoltaics can provide tiny amounts of power for watches, large amounts for the electric grid, and everything in between. Concentrating solar power technologies use reflective materials to concentrate the sun's heat energy. Low-temperature solar collectors also absorb the sun's heat energy. This heat energy is used directly for hot water or space heating in buildings.
- Asynchronous (Induction) Generators - Most wind turbines in the world use a so-called three phase asynchronous (cage wound) generator, also called an induction generator to generate alternating current. Rate this link
- Changing Generator Rotational Speed Rate this link
- Generator Operation - This document has tips how certain Honda generators should be used. Rate this link
- How An Electric Generator Works Rate this link
- Synchronous Generators: 3-Phase Generator (or Motor) Principles Rate this link
- Wind Turbine Generators Rate this link
- Build a generator from a lawn edger motor - Building your own generator (on the cheap). This basic generator (gas powered motor, alternator and battery only), can be used as a 12 volt power source. Rate this link
- Oikosulkumoottori generaattorina - This document describes how to use a three phase electrical motor as a generator. The language of this document is Finnish. Rate this link
An electric generator is a device used to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. The operation of generator is based on the principle of "electromagnetic induction": moving the wire through the magnetic field causes electric current to flow in the wire.Large generators are used by electrical utilieties to generatethe power to the mains power grid. When you need poweron places where normal electrical distribution grids do notreach, motor powered generators are generators are convientsources of mains power. The generator itself in those motorpowered generaotrs is rotated by a suitable motor (usually diesel motor).When selecting a generator, go for a generator with a rating higher than you need, so that you don't run it at full load (not good for fuel efficiency),or risk tripping the thing out or stalling it (motor generators can notgenerally take much overload). The power factor needs to be taken into account when driving inductive loads (be sure you have ebough watts and VA:s).Generally take the total KW load of the load, add at least 20-30 % as safety margin.When selecting generator you will need to know roughly how many hours per day the generator will be running, and roughload estimates of those hours. When renting a generator,tell the rental company those numbers, and ask them for their recommendations. Power (kW) ratings of an AC generator are based on the ability of the prime mover to overcome generator losses and the ability of the machine to dissipate the internally generated heat.Typical name plate data for an AC generator includes: manufacturer name, serial number and type number, speed (rpm), number of poles, frequency of output, number of phases, and maximum supply voltage, capacity rating in KVA and kW at a specified power factor and maximum output voltage, armature and field current per phase; and maximum temperature rise.Generators are perfectly safe provided they are set up and used correctly. If you plan to hire a geenrator, be sure to hire from areputable company. They should be able to provide you with suitable cables, and site the generators for maximum efficiency.Define your need and ask the rental company for their solution.When installing generator, make sure that the generator has a good earth/ground connection.How this earthign shoudl be done depends somewhat on localelectrical regulations and instructions on generator.
General information on generators
Back to ePanorama main page ??