IPv6 has been considered the internet of the future for the past 15 years. I played with it in the later 1990′s. And after it waiting when it will take on, or will it fail. Disruption might be the only way to force companies into deploying IP version 6 (IPv6) networks. The expected ending of IPv4 addresses has not caused panic. World IPv6 Day coming at 8 June, 2011 (after a few days) might be the extra disruption that is needed. The goal of the Test Flight Day is to motivate organizations across the industry to prepare their services for IPv6 to ensure a successful transition as IPv4 addresses run out.
Google, Facebook, Yahoo!, Akamai and Limelight Networks will be amongst some of the major organisations that will offer their content over IPv6 for a 24-hour “test flight”. I expect to see some hiccups, although most of the things should work without problems. Google expects less than one per cent of requests to fail on IPv6 day. The vast majority (99.95%) of Internet users shouldn’t see anything out of the ordinary. For the remaining 0.05% of users, misconfigured or misbehaving network equipment, particularly in home networks, may impair access to participating websites during the trial.
You can test your IPv6 connectivity in advance with http://www.kame.net/, http://test-ipv6.com/, Wireshark IPv4 and IPv6 Connectivity Test or ipv6test.google.com. Don’t worry if you don’t have IPv6 at all (just “old” IPv4 connectivity), you shouldn’t have problems on websites that add IPv6 support on World IPv6 Day.