It seems like the NSA has been HACKED! But that might not be the truth. There has been many security news out on the message has NSA hacking group been hacked? It is hard to say for sure if that is true or not, but what seems to be true is that some of the hacking tools NSA has used (and Snowden has revealed) are now out on the wild.
So, Uh, Did The NSA Get Hacked? article tells that a group of hackers say they’ve breached a hacking group known as the Equation Group, which is widely speculated to be an offshoot of the National Security Agency.The Equation Group, according to Kaspersky Lab, targeted the same victims as the group behind Stuxnet, which is widely believed to have been a joint US-Israeli operation targeting Iran’s nuclear program, and also used two of the same zero-day exploits.
NSA Hacked? ‘Shadow Brokers’ Crew Claims Compromise Of Surveillance Op article asks has the NSA just been hacked? Security experts speaking with FORBES think it’s possible, after a group published malware and attack code allegedly belonging to the Equation Group, a crew linked to the US intelligence agency. But while many believe the leak looks legitimate, the hackers could have pulled off a very clever ruse.
NSA Hacked? ‘Shadow Brokers’ Crew Claims Compromise Of Surveillance Op article also tells that in 2015, researchers at Russian security company Kaspersky Lab revealed a highly-advanced arsenal of hacking tools used by the Equation campaign. They were believed to have been the work of the NSA as the code was linked with previous, allegedly US-sponsored hacks, including the infamous Regin and Stuxnet attacks (never definitively proven). The group’s connections to other high profile hacks and the use of similar codenames that were included in documents leaked by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden raise serious suspicions.
What is released?
The hackers have provided some files including what could be parts of the agency’s surveillance tools The hackers have released files they claimed to have taken from the Equation Group. NSA Hacked? ‘Shadow Brokers’ Crew Claims Compromise Of Surveillance Op article tells that Two days ago, on August 13, a group calling themselves The Shadow Brokers released files on Github (now that account is disabled), claiming they came from the Equation Group. The files mostly contained installation scripts, configurations for command-and-control (C&C) servers, and exploits allegedly designed to target routers. The files included code allegedly designed to exploit firewalls from manufacturers Cisco, Juniper, Fortinet and Topsec. There are also some files posted to MEGA. Researchers who downloaded the sample posted by the group say it does include intriguing data, such as 300 megabytes of code that match up with actual exploits used by the NSA.
“The proof files look pretty legit, and they are exactly the sorts of exploits you would expect a group that targets communications infrastructure“
Here’s part of a message the hackers, going by the name “The Shadow Brokers” posted: “How much you pay for enemies cyber weapons? Not malware you find in networks. Both sides, RAT + LP, full state sponsor tool set?”
The hackers have provided some files including what could be parts of the agency’s surveillance tools, but are demanding millions of dollars in bitcoins for the rest. The hackers say they’ve only released 40% of the breach, and will release the remaining 60% to the highest bidders. The Shadow Brokers said they would release the remaining data to the highest bidder in a Bitcoin auction if they received an extraordinary 1,000,000 Bitcoins, worth roughly $560 million, they would release all the files.
This project could be a way for some hackers to make a lot of money or some form of hoax or decoy. Hackers Say They Hacked NSA-Linked Group, Want 1 Million Bitcoins to Share More article notes: “If this is a hoax, the perpetrators put a huge amount of effort in,” the security researcher known as The Grugq told Motherboard. “The proof files look pretty legit, and they are exactly the sorts of exploits you would expect a group that targets communications infrastructure to deploy and use.” On the other hand one Kaspersky Lab researcher noted on Twitter that there is “nothing” in the dumped files that links them to the Equation Group, but some of their names are from the ANT Catalog, an NSA hacking toolset published by Der Spiegel in late 2013.
Good thing on this: More flaws on the different routers are revealed to public, and manufacturers can star making their products safer.
If the hack was real and as big as claimed, there is probably going to be a big manhunt to catch whoever did this. If this was not real, it will spark at least some security discussions.