Electrical safety of travel adapters

Or lack of safety?
This example is one cheap UK-schuco adapter. First look reveals that there is no fuse in UK plug (there should be max 13A fuse).



There is no grounding on adapter (just plastic pin in place of ground pin), but accepts grouded equipment plug.
But there is worse problem: when plug is not fully plugged in you can tough live power pins with your finger!


This goes to dumpster. I need to get safer adapter for my trip to UK.

Same type of dangers can be found on other adapters as well – you have been warned! Look at the safety of your travel power adapters.

Posted from WordPress for Android


  1. Tomi Engdahl says:

    Extra dangerous electrocute-o-daptor with lamp test feature.

    Inside another death-dapter variant.

  2. Tomi Engdahl says:

    How to use European plugs in the UK safely, and European to UK Adaptors explained. A Beginners Guide

    How to use European plugs in the UK safely, and European to UK Adaptors explained.

  3. Tomi Engdahl says:

    How to use European electric plug in the UK without adapter (BS1362)

    This video demonstrates How to use European electric plug in the UK without adapter.
    This is emergency method. So you should use adapter plugs.

  4. Tomi Engdahl says:

    Deadly Chinese plug adapter.

    A common adapter supplied with many ebay products from China that has quite a few design flaws. This exciting device allows you to:-
    Plug in upside down defeating the earth connection.
    Plug in with pins hanging out posing a shock risk.

  5. Tomi Engdahl says:

    Extra dangerous electrocute-o-daptor with lamp test feature.

    It’s sometimes hard choosing which mains plug adaptor is the most exciting. I think this one is a good contender due to its exciting live pop-out death probes that appear at the touch of a button like a very exciting transformer-robot toy.

  6. Tomi Engdahl says:

    Illegal and Deadly imported UK Plug Rant

    the first thing I pulled from the packet was unsafe, illegal and potentially deadly imported UK plug cable. I felt it was time for a bit of a rant… and an experiment to see what would happen to the cable if the device at the end of it short-circuited internally

    why not just put the fuses into the sockets instaid of the plugs

    Plugs with partially sleeved earth pins are guaranteed to be absolutely always counterfeit, and are not allowed to be sold, even though they’re for non-earthed applications.

    Scary as. I wouldn’t even be going near that cable.

    All that damage for 5 amps! Imagine someone plug a PA amp in to this!

    And that’s why us wiring is superior. Circuits are mostly kept at lower amp ratings and therefor shut off sooner. Plus, it in no way relies on cord protections and eliminates illegal cables as a possible fault.

    Good demonstration! With a total resistance of about 3 ohms for that short cable the manufacturer obviously wasn’t wasting money on much copper. Worth pointing out that the UK system allows for fusing at just 1A which, with the right plug & fuse would make even thin rubbish cable like that reasonably safe. Not something one can say for the Schuko or US style systems.

    It never went above 5 amps because you did not have enough voltage.You should do another “dramatic” video where you plug it into the mains.

    Main issue is that that cable isn’t fused, but that it’s not capable of handeling every day loads, Allthough a 4A fuse could have offered protection from it’s flaw.
    It’s likely that they use the same cable in the US and Europe where it has to be rated for 20A or 16A.

    It’s not true that each socket in other EU countries has its own fuse in the CU. At least not in Germany.

    Alan Brown
    2 päivää sitten

    I tracked down at least one of the Chinese factories/major distributors – “Shenzhen Le Tao Xing Technology Company Ltd” and had a chat with them about the lack of safety of their product. They first responded with “if you don’t like them, don’t buy them” and then when I emphasised that my concern was safety, “We don’t understand why you are complaining, we have sold thousands of these into the UK with no problem”

    Armed with that admission and a couple of the offending plugs, I’ve been escalating through my local Trading Standards through to National Trading standards and now they’re talking to Chinese authorities with an eye to getting enforcement done in China (remember, everything is licensed there – no license == no exports) and getting production of the dangerous plugs stopped along with production dies destroyed.

    Did not know this UK detail. Modern houses have fuseboxes with fuses for every thing, like in a car.
    Usually electronics have built in fuses so why an extra fuse in the plug. A lot of cables are ratet below fuse amperage, 2A Europlug, but during a short circuit, they will blow the fuse as they can widthstand much more for a short time.
    I wonderd if AC amps generate more heat than DC even if it’s the RMS value.

  7. Arthur says:

    The lack of fuse is indeed a problem (though in my opinion the problem is more about UK requiring appliances to have a fuse in their plug rather than having one in the outlet or before…). Everything else, just know what you use it for and don’t be stupid. If you’re careless enough to actually plug something half way and touch the prongs, you deserve your shock. And about the lack of ground, obviously you don’t want to plug a dishwasher or something like that in it, but there are a lot of devices (especially electronics, which I assume are the most common uses of these – charging your phone or your laptop when abroad) that are sold with a grounded plug while actually being perfectly safe without it (I’ve even seen ground-sized plugs that had no actual ground connection… think I remember something about ungrounded outlets in my country not being required to support as much current as grounded ones, so maybe it makes sense in that regard, but still super annoying when you want to plug them into a power strip).
    So yes, it wouldn’t pass whatever the UK equivalent of electrical code is, but it’s not that dangerous if you don’t use it in a stupid way.

  8. Tomi Engdahl says:

    Universal Travel Shock-dapter (Dangerous Adapter)

    This is a clever universal travel adaptor with 3 different ejecting plugs. It is sold on Ebay for just $1. The problem is that you can eject more plugs at the same time. When plugged in, the exposed pins of the other plugs are live. It also defeats ground / earth. Ground is not being connected at all, but you can plug into it appliances that need to be grounded. You can also plug just one pin of a plug into it and touch the other one, which becomes live through the impedance of the appliance. You can even stick a ground pin of some plugs into live hole, making the metal cabinet of the appliance live. It claims to have a surge protection, but there’s actually none. There’s just a red LED indicator with two 74k resistors in series.

    It is rated 10A, but the sliding contacts of the plugs are very thin. This is definitely a deadly dangerous device that can result in fire or electrocution.

  9. Tomi Engdahl says:

    The Halfdaptor – Convert two prong plugs to half of a UK plug

    An entirely pointless and unsafe device which consists of a socket for various styles of two pin plug, and converts those to two pins of a three pin UK plug.
    Impossible to insert into any UK socket outlet without the use of some other thing to open the shutters in the socket.
    Claims to be rated 6 amps, 250 volts.


    Looks like this is for Singapore “Type G” plug & socket (I looked it up based on another comment. Not my own work LOL). There are also a total of 51 Countries and regions that use the UK Style of Plug/Socket/Power Rating (220-260v 40-60Hz) as well.

    That’s based on the UK standard. There are several other countries that also use it.

  10. Tomi Engdahl says:

    PVC Insulated Cable Damaged by Expanded Polystyrene Insulation

    An example of PVC insulated cable which has been in contact with expanded polystyrene cavity wall insulation.

    There are two problems here – first being that the cable insulation is damaged when in contact with the expanded polystyrene, the second is the current capacity of the cable is significantly reduced when installed in insulation, which could result in the cable overheating.

    Fire Rated Expanding Foam on Fire

    What happens to fire rated expanding foam when exposed to a flame?

  11. Tomi Engdahl says:

    Single Wires through Metal Holes

    When installing a metal consumer unit, the line and neutral wires should pass through a single hole. If they are passed through separate holes, the resulting magnetic field can create eddy currents in the metal, causing overheating.

    In this video, a current of 25A and 120A is passed through a single wire which is routed through two holes in a metal consumer unit to see if it overheats.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *